As California Public Charter Schools, The Classical Academies are free of charge and open to all students in San Diego County and adjacent counties.
2021-2022 Lottery Dates
The Classical Academy elementary and middle schools will host a virtual public lottery on March 18, 2021 at 4:00 pm. The high schools will host a virtual public lottery on February 10, 2021 at 4:00 pm.
The Classical Academies follow state and local guidelines, which require charter schools to hold a lottery whenever the number of applicants received exceeds capacity. The state guidelines give priority to students who live within the boundaries of the authorizing district. Applicants will be selected solely on the basis of the lottery results, in accordance with these established priorities.
The Classical Academies do not discourage students from enrolling or seeking to enroll for any reason, including, but not limited to because the applicant exhibits any of the following characteristics: disabilities, academically low-achievement, English learners, neglect or delinquency, homelessness, economic disadvantage as determined by eligibility for any free or reduced-price meal program, foster youth, nationality, race, ethnicity, or sexual orientation.
Once the lotteries for the 2021-2022 school year have been conducted, families will be notified by email or phone.
California Education Code (EC) Section 47605(d)(4) states the following:
- A charter school shall not discourage a pupil from enrolling or seeking to enroll in a charter school for any reason, including, but not limited to, academic performance of the pupil or because the pupil exhibits any of the following characteristics:
- Academically low achieving
- Economically disadvantaged (determined by eligibility for any free or reduced-price meal program)
- English learner
- Foster youth
- Neglected or delinquent
- Sexual orientation
- Pupils with disabilities
- A charter school shall not request a pupil’s records or require the parent, guardian, or pupil to submit the pupil’s records to the charter school before enrollment.
- A charter school shall not encourage a pupil currently attending the charter school to dis-enroll from the charter school or transfer to another school for any reason (except for suspension or expulsion).
- This notice shall be posted on a charter school’s Internet website and a charter school will provide copies of this notice (1) when a parent, guardian, or pupil inquires about enrollment; (2) before conducting an enrollment lottery, and (3) before dis-enrollment of a pupil.
Complaint Procedures: In order to submit a complaint, complete the Charter School Complaint Form and submit the form to the charter school authorizer, electronically or in hard copy, to the following location:
San Diego County Office of Education
6401 Linda Vista Road
San Diego, CA 92111